Question:
Oil leaking around Positive battery terminal ?
Hasa
2017-12-17 21:39:18 UTC
Today when i open hood of my car, i found oily liquid around Positive terminal of battery . I bought battery a year ago . Is it normal ?
Six answers:
roderick_young
2017-12-19 17:09:39 UTC
Take the positive lead off the battery, and see if the top of the terminal has that oily substance. If it does, that is probably anti-corrosion gel, which is, I think, basically vaseline with sal ammoniac. That's a good thing, actually a sign that the person installing the battery did a thorough job.
FlagMichael
2017-12-18 02:18:56 UTC
As others say, if it is oil it is not coming out of the battery. However, it may be battery electrolyte - Scooterttrashbadboy's test will tell the difference.

Chronic overcharging causes the positive plates of lead acid batteries to grow in length and width, which can push the posts out of the case. That allows the electrolyte to leak around the post. If it is electrolyte (sulfuric acid) the charging system should be checked and the battery tested. The leakage does not kill it but it is a bad sign.
bitwiseoperator2002
2017-12-18 01:04:20 UTC
Someone put petroleum jelly on it to prevent corrosion.
KayleenR
2017-12-18 00:05:00 UTC
It is not oil, batteries do not contain oil
scootertrashbadboy
2017-12-17 22:19:11 UTC
Normal? NO. I would sprinkle some baking soda on it and see if it boils, if it does its batty acid, then put the baking soda all over the top of the batty to neutralize it, then wash it off.

You may want to go by a auto parts and have them test the alt. to see if its over charging.
Windowphobe
2017-12-17 21:49:27 UTC
No. Oil shouldn't be getting near the top of the battery, and if it's battery acid instead of oil, that's worse.